The Fauquier History Museum at the Old Jail
(formerly the Old Jail Museum)
Wednesday through Monday 10am to 4pm
*Note: The museum is closed on Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Please call the museum during inclement weather, to verify the museum is open.
10 Ashby St. Warrenton, VA 20186
Adults (18+) $2.00
Students (10-17) $1.00
Children (under 10) Free
Guided tours will be available beginning June 2014 at $5 per participant. Please contact the museum to arrange your tour.
We welcome field trip groups! To make an appointment for a large group or a guided tour, contact us.
Fauquier's Historic Sites
The Old Courthouse was built in 1890 after fires destroyed earlier earlier courthouses in 1790, 1819 and 1854. The site was chosen in 1790 by Richard Henry Lee because it was the highest point in town. The current courthouse is a replica of the 1854 building which was styled after the Parthenon in Athens.
Ashleigh, situated south of Delaplane, Virginia, is a country house that exemplifies the Greek Revival style most popular in the American South in the early nineteenth century. It was built circa 1840 on land divided from the Oak Hill estate for Margaret Marshall, the granddaughter of Chief Justice John Marshall. Margaret Marshall designed the house herself, with the aid of a local builder named Sutton. The simplicity of detail and harmony of proportions makes Ashleigh one of the most distinctive antebellum manors in northern Virginia.
Ashville Historic District
Ashville is a historically African-American village, founded circa 1874, which lies 3 ½ miles west of Marshall along Ashville Road. The town was named after Harriet and Catherine Ash, who deeded 150 acres of land to their emancipated slaves in 1869. As a small, rural community, the architecture in Ashville is predominantly vernacular in style. The Gothic Revival-style Ashville Baptist Church (1899) and a schoolhouse (C. 1910) form the core of Ashville, which is primarily residential in nature. Ashville remains a little-modified example of rural community life from the turn of the last century.
Atoka Historic District
The hamlet of Atoka lies five miles north of Rectortown near the Loudoun County border. It was originally called Rector’s Cross-Roads, after the main family there, but attained the name Atoka in the early 1890s when a post office was established for the town. The four historic dwellings (the oldest dating to circa 1830) and two commercial buildings express Atoka’s nature as a rural crossroads settlement adjacent to a major thoroughfare. Atoka’s strategic location served Mosby’s Rangers during the height of the Civil War, and was known as a favored meeting place for the Confederate cavalry. In the early twentieth century, with the rise of the automobile, Atoka’s position made it a good rest stop between Paris and Aldie, the town’s gas station, built in 1927, reflects this. The current US Route 50 bypassed the hamlet in 1957, which has contributed to its preservation as a small rural community.
James Ball of Northumberland County conveyed 1000 acres of his 7883-acre grant to John Edmonds of Lancaster County, Virginia, in 1780. Belle Grove’s brick edifice was built in 1812, and it is still the home of John Edmonds’ descendants. One enters a large hall from which a graceful stairway ascends. The large drawing room is on the left and the library on the right. The woodwork is very good and the mantels particularly handsome. The house is in a grove of large trees and there are many old shrubs and roses by the porch, from which one has a beautiful view of the countryside.
Blue Ridge Farm
Between Middleburg and Upperville lies Blue Ridge Farm, an historic property that has functioned as a thoroughbred horse-breeding farm since 1903. Fountain Hill House, situated on the property, is a stone dwelling erected circa 1791 by Joshua Fletcher on land originally owned by John Carter. A stone smokehouse, built in the same period, and later 19th-century outbuildings surround the home.
The property also holds the Blue Ridge Farmhouse, which functions as the main house today. Commissioned by Rear Admiral Cary T. Grayson, it was designed in 1933-34 by Waddy Butler Wood as a Colonial Revival manor. Blue Ridge Farm has been in the Grayson family since 1928 and may be the oldest, continuously-operated horse-breeding facility in Virginia.
Brentmoor is an Italian Villa-style building which was completed in 1861 and was originally owned by Edward M. Spilman. The home remained in the Spilman family until the early 1870’s when it was sold to James Keith. In 1875, Col. John S. Mosby purchased the house for $8000. Two years later he moved to Washinton, D.C. to pursue his career and sold Brentmoor to Eppa Hunton.
In recent years, much work has been done to restore Brentmoor to its late 19th Century appearance.
Find out more about Brentmoor at www.MosbyMuseum.org.
Bristersburg Historic District
Located in southeastern Fauquier, Bristersburg was one of the county’s main trading centers during the mid 19th century and remained a commercial center for the surrounding agricultural area well into the 20th century. It is remarkable due to the survival of the type of historic buildings usually found in small rural communities. The historic district includes the Bristersburg School (now a private residence), Zoar Baptist Church, and several commercial, residential, and outbuildings.
Burrland Farm Historic District
One mile south of Middleburg, Burrland is a 458 acre section of Hickory Tree Farm used as a thoroughbred horse breeding and training facility. The farm’s structures were erected between 1927 and 1932. The manor at Burrland was built in 1879 by the Noland family in a Queen Anne style. In 1927, William Ziegler, Jr., heir to the Royal Baking Powder Company fortune, bought the property in order to start a horse breeding farm. He hired New York-based architect William Bottomley to transform the house into a brick, Georgian Revival mansion. Bottomley also designed the stable complex on the farm in a similar, Georgian Revival style. Ziegler maintained the farm until 1955 when he sold it to Eleonora Sears who in 1961 deliberately set fire to the brick manor house in order to reduce her property taxes. The estate still functions today as a horse-breeding facility.
Casanova Historic District
Originally called “Three Mile Station,” Casanova was developed during the 1850’s at the intersection of the newly-laid Warrenton Branch of the railroad and Rogues Road. Casanova was richly influenced by the wealthy landowners in the area surrounding it and by the expansion of the railroad.
Most of the village’s late-19th and early-20th century Colonial Revival and Gothic Revival style structures remain intact, with the exception of the train station, which is identified by a historical marker where it once stood. While several of the 19th century buildings have been converted into 20th century dwellings, Casanova’s post office still functions as such today.
The significant historical aspects of Casanova are the intact architectural details of the commercial and residential structures that capture both the essence of the village as well as the growth it experienced in the wake of the construction of the railroad.
Catlett Historic District
The majority of historical structures standing in the village of Catlett were built after the Civil War during the Reconstruction period. These include a Gothic Revival-style church, several Italianate-style houses, fourteen gable-roofed residences, and eight early 20th century commercial buildings erected adjacent to the railroad tracks. Only one pre-Civil War structure, built circa 1855 by Richard Colvin Sr.(for whom the village, originally called Colvin Station, had been named), survives today.
Catlett was the site of a Union troop encampment during both the first and second battles of Manassas. The most significant war activities which took place at Catlett Station are commemorated by two Civil War markers, “Mosby’s Raid” and “Stuart’s Revenge.”
Cromwell’s Run Rural Historic District
In northern Fauquier, 14,000 acres between Goose Creek and Cromwell’s Run have been designated as a rural historic district. This expansive area is primarily characterized by open, contiguous, pastoral land making it ideal for foxhunting. Fieldstone walls delineating old farm boundaries are a cultural addition to the idyllic landscape. A number of historic mills also dot the landscape and point to the region’s early industrial development. The villages of Rectortown and Atoka also lie within the rural district’s boundaries and embody the area’s commercial growth. Two post-Civil War, African-American communities exist in Frogtown and Fortune Mountain. The farms and estates that largely make up the district reflect the heavy agricultural usage of the land. A number of historic buildings dating from the mid 18th to the 20th century lie within the district. Some prominent historic houses include Greendale, dating from the 1790s; Kelvedon Farm (ca. 1810); and Shirland Hall (ca. 1800), among others. Wexford (1963) stands out as the weekend home of President and Mrs. John F. Kennedy.
Crooked Run Valley Rural Historic District
Straddling Route 17 and encompassing the villages of Paris, Delaplane, and Scuffleburg, lies Crooked Run Valley Rural Historic District containing approximately 18,630 acres composed mostly of farms and estates. Its idyllic beauty is perhaps best exemplified in Sky Meadows State Park and portions of the Appalachian Trail, which cross through the park. This district lies at the heart of the Mosby Heritage Area and architecturally is composed mostly of dwellings and farm structures that range in date from the eighteenth through the twentieth centuries many of which were built of local fieldstone. Stone fences often line tracts of land. The cultural landscape reflects the evolution of rural settlement and agricultural pursuits over the span of 250 years.
Dakota is an early-twentieth century house located just outside the town of Warrenton’s boundaries in a largely rural area. Built for Edgar Wolten Winmill, a founder of the Virginia Gold Cup horse race, and his wife, it was erected in 1928 atop the foundations of an earlier house. It was designed by architect William Lawrence Bottomley, a prominent New York architect, in a Georgian Revival style. Behind the house is a Queen Anne-styled stable dating from circa 1890.
Delaplane Historic District
In 1852, a depot called Piedmont Station was laid at the intersection of Route 17 and the confluence of Goose Creek and Crooked Run. A small village grew around this railroad stop, which was renamed Delaplane in 1874. During the Civil War, trains arriving at Piedmont Station served to transport Confederate troops to battle. The town was occupied by Union troops in 1862 because of its strategic importance.
The town exemplifies mid-19th century rural growth as driven by the railroad industry. It includes commercial buildings, a cattle scale house, a mill, six dwellings, and a former church. The train station was demolished in the twentieth century, probably not long after passenger trains stopped running along the rail line in the 1950’s.
Gen. William Mitchell House
Boxwood is a 120-acre property that straddles the Loudoun and Fauquier County line near Middleburg. The fieldstone house at Boxwood was built in 1826 by William Swart. From 1926 to 1936, Gen. William Mitchell and his wife, Elizabeth, resided at Boxwood and enlarged the house. General Mitchell is considered by historians to be the first great air war strategist, an unparalleled aviator, and one of the founding fathers of the US Air Force. His ideas presaged the large role militarized aviation would play in World War II. In retirement in Middleburg, he participated in fox hunting, horse showing, and hunt-dog breeding activities.
Germantown Archaeological Sites
Germantown was established around 1718 in southern Fauquier by German iron miners who had been brought to the area by Lieutenant Governor Alexander Spotswood. Though it thrived for some years, the settlement had failed by the time of the American Revolution. The remnants of much of the settlement are now under Crockett Park lake, but the remaining archaeological area was added to the state and national historic registers in 1982. A plaque noting the historic status of the area stands near Midland.
Situated southwest of Middleburg is the 236-acre estate known as “Green Pastures.” The property was developed during the early years of the Great Depression by mining industrialist and financier, Robert McConnell. McConnell, who had made his fortunes on Wall Street, retired to Middleburg in 1931 to enjoy the fox hunting lifestyle prevalent there. The Colonial Revival manor house was designed by New York architect Penrose Stout in a vein similar to Mount Vernon. The frame house, built by local builder W. J. Hanback between 1931 and 1932, was constructed entirely out of cypress wood. The farm’s many outbuildings, most designed by Stout, were erected between 1935 and 1947. McConnell sold Green Pastures in 1954 to the Teners, who renamed the estate “Ardarra.”
In the village of Little Georgetown stands a stone house known as Helflin’s Store. Built in 1845 by stonemason John Fry, and known originally as Stover’s Store, it functioned as a general store for the local farming community and for travelers and traders along the Thoroughfare Gap Road. Charles and Abraham Stover’s gristmill was located half a mile east of the structure, but only ruins remain. With the establishment of the Manassas Gap Railroad at Broad Run Station in 1852, the store’s business intensified. In 1884, Henry Newlon Brawner, a former cavalryman under Col. Mosby who had been stationed in the area during the Civil War, acquired the Stover Store and changed its name to his own. He sold the business to Edgar W. Heflin in 1899. The general store remained in operation until the 1970’s. It has recently been restored by Mr. and Mrs. John Hazel.
The Hopefield estate includes 168 acres three miles north of the town of Warrenton. The main residence, along with several outbuildings, was built in 1855 in the late Federal style. In addition to an 1882 renovation, in 1924, architect W. H. Irwin Fleming and builders William F. and W. J. Hanback transformed the residence into a Colonial-Revival-style home.
Loretta was built in the early 19th century by Frances Edmonds, widow of Col. Elias Edmonds who served during the Revolutionary War. The home was originally called “Edmonium” in honor of Col. Edmonds. Between 1907 and 1908, Loretta was renovated, doubling its original size and transforming it into a Colonial Revival style mansion.
Markham Historic District
Cradled in a hollow formed by Red Oak, Hardscrabble, and Naked mountains are the villages of Markham and Farrowsville.
Farrowsville’s early 19th-century architecture reflects its importance as the terminus of a significant stagecoach road to Culpeper.
Markham was established in 1852 as a depot along the Manassas Gap Railroad. The railroad depot played an important role throughout the Civil War, and Markham was continually occupied by Federal troops for most of the war’s duration. The village’s mid- to late-19th-century architecture reflects its status as a railroad town. Markham is considered to be the best-preserved and least-altered 19th-century town in Fauquier.
Marshall Historic District
Originally known as Salem, the town of Marshall is the second oldest and second largest community in Fauquier County. Platted in 1797 at the junction of Routes 17 and 55, Marshall remained a modest community until the mid-19th century when it became a thriving town as a result of the arrival of the Manassas Gap Railroad in 1852. During the Civil War, its strategic location made it a favorite reconnoiter spot for Colonel John S. Mosby and his Rangers and it was occupied by Federal troops for the majority of the war’s duration.
The elimination of passenger train service after World War II, slowed Marshall’s growth, helping the community maintain its small-town feel.
Melrose Castle is a fieldstone, Gothic Revival residence in Casanova. Thought to have been designed by Fauquier-native George Washington Holtzclaw, the manor was built between 1856-60 for Dr. James H. Murray and his brother, Edward.
Its castellated form, scale, setting, and appearance conform to the notion of picturesque villa architecture made popular in America in the early to mid-19th century. Melrose is considered one of Virginia’s most important examples of this architectural style.
Originally planned in an L-shape, the house was considerably enlarged around 1920. Many of the original interior decorations have been lost, although the main stair has detailing typical of the period. The house sustained some damage while it was occupied by Union troops during the Civil War, but is now maintained in a good condition.
Monterosa / Neptune Lodge
The house was built by Governor William “Extra Billy” Smith in 1845 and was then known as Monte Rosa. James K. Maddux bought the estate in 1895 and changed the name to Neptune Lodge in honor of his famous race horse. An interesting feature of the house is that the doors to the rooms upstairs each bear a name plate with the name of a Maddux horse. Tradition says that the large brick stables and paddock, also built by Governor Smith, were used as a relay stop for the mail and stage line which went from Washington, D.C. to Milledgeville, Georgia.
Morgantown Historic District
Two miles south of the town of Marshall sits the hamlet of Morgantown at the junction of Freestate and Mount Nebo Church roads. Morgantown, like neighboring Ashville, is one of a number of rural African-American enclaves established after the Civil War in Fauquier County. Morgantown is named after a landowner, William Morgan, who deeded portions of his property to former slaves in the late 1870s. At the center of the community is Mount Nebo Baptist Church, a building that dates to 1902 although the congregation was organized in 1877. Most of the structures in Morgantown date between the 1890s and 1910 and retain a high degree of architectural integrity.
Prior to 1825, Col. Thomas Ambler, nephew of John Marshall, moved with his wife to Morven which was then a one-story log house with a loft which had been erected when the country was first settled. As the family grew, wings were added – giving the old home the shape of a Maltese cross with columned porches at the three front entrances. Morven’s present owners, James R. Green and his wife, Caroline Marshall Ribble, are both great-great-grandchildren of Chief Justice John Marshall.
Located north of New Baltimore, Mount Hope is a well-preserved, rural, farmhouse that displays Piedmont Virginia’s changing architectural trends from the early nineteenth century to present. Originally built around 1801 in the Federal style, today the home primarily displays the Greek-Revival style with some Italianate and Late Victorian features. Mount Hope was owned by the Hunton family from 1829 to 1902. It was the boyhood home of Confederate general Eppa Hunton. Hunton later served four terms as a U.S. Congressman and in 1892 was appointed a Senator.
New Baltimore Historic District
Five miles north of Warrenton is the village of New Baltimore. The village began in the early 19th century as a crossroads community situated at the junction of the Old Alexandria Turnpike and Georgetown roads. It was incorporated as a town in 1822. Its prime location encouraged commercial trade, which benefited such businesses as Ball’s Mill, Ball’s Store, and James Hampton’s Tavern. Although the dates of buildings, as well as the establishment of New Baltimore Academy, suggest that the town prospered and grew through the 1830s, by the mid-1850s the town suffered an economic decline culminating in the loss of its town status. Throughout the Civil War, the community witnessed troop movements from both sides. The hamlet recovered somewhat in the late 19th and early 20th centuries as evidenced by buildings from that era.
Among the early houses of the county is North Wales, situated about three miles southwest of Warrenton on Route 802. The estate on which it was built originally contained 565 acres. William and Anne Allison acquired title to the land and began building the stone dwelling in 1773. Early 20thC. owner Edward M. Weld of New York spent enormous sums developing and enlarging the estate and the original mansion house thereon.
Number 18 School
The little, wooden, public schoolhouse, called “Number 18,” in Marshall was built in 1887 on a one-acre parcel of land donated by Samuel Fisher Shakelford, which had once belonged to the estate of Civil War General Eppa Hunton. Typical of one-room schoolhouses, children of all ages shared lessons in the single space. Enrollment varied between 10-60 students per school year. It served as the main school for Marshall’s white population until 1907. From that date on, it served the town’s African-American community until closing its doors in 1964.
Number 18 was preserved by the County as “a memorial to the history and progress of public education.” It was made a landmark in 1964 and restoration was undertaken in 1997.
Oak Hill, located south of the village of Delaplane, was the country seat of Chief Justice John Marshall. The tract was purchased in 1773 by the Justice’s father, Colonel Thomas Marshall, who improved the land with a seven-room frame house. John Marshall lived there until his marriage in 1783.
The manor house consists of two distinct buildings connected by a passage: the original portion is a stone farmhouse dating to the period of Colonel Thomas Marshall’s ownership, while the later addition is a brick dwelling built in 1819 by John Marshall. The house remained in the Marshall family until 1864.
Oakley is located in the vicinity of Upperville. This brick, Italianate-style manor house was built in 1857 for Richard Henry Dulany, a prominent citizen and founder of the Upperville Colt and Horse Show, which held the first recorded horse show in America in 1852. The Italianate style, popular in America in the 1840s and 1850s, is rarely seen in rural Virginia, and so this house is unique to its landscape. During the Civil War, Confederate troops were quartered at Oakley, and at times Union officers occupied the property. The property still continues as a focus for the region’s hunt country lifestyle.
Rectortown Historic District
Rectortown was established in 1772 by an act of the Virginia General Assembly. Originally known as Maidstone, the community adopted “Rectortown” in the late 19th century to honor John Rector, a prominent landowner who laid aside 50 acres of land for the new settlement. The town, located on thoroughfares running between Marshall (then Salem) and Winchester, prospered throughout the first half of the 19th century and became a bustling stop on the Manassas Gap Railroad in 1852. During the Civil War, it functioned as an unofficial headquarters for Col. John S. Mosby, and the old Rector’s store was used as a prison for Federal troops. Despite the upheaval of war, it continued to grow throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Today, Rectortown is a primarily residential community focused on agriculture with a remarkably intact collection of historical buildings dating across three centuries.
Remington Historic District
The town of Remington is located in southwestern Fauquier County along the old Alexandria and Orange railroad line. Founded in the early 19th century as Millview, the town was renamed Bowensville around 1850 and then again as Rappahannock Station in 1852 when the railroad came through. The present name of Remington was chosen in 1890 when the town was incorporated. The grid-patterned historic district is comprised mostly of buildings from the late 19th and early 20th centuries, as many earlier structures were destroyed during the Civil War and in the early 20th century in a series of fires. A commercial core, mostly developed after 1910, runs along East Main Street while residential areas lie adjacent. Most of the residences exhibit late Victorian styles, such as Queen Anne, and show a relatively high level of ornamentation for a town of its size in Piedmont Virginia, suggesting economic health during the period of construction. Despite periodic floods from the nearby Rappahannock River, the town of Remington is well-preserved and contains a wide array of building types and architectural styles.
Sky Meadows State Park
The expansive tract of agricultural land known as Sky Meadows State Park straddles Route 17 south of its junction with Route 50. The park comprises four 18th- and 19th-century plantations associated with the Edmonds, Settle, Morgan and Timberlake families. The farmsteads of each of these families still exist within the park, but the primary site is that of Abner Settle, who built Mount Bleak, a stone, Federal-style mansion circa 1843. The former Settle farm includes a timber-frame kitchen moved to its location in the 1940s, an ice house, an 1843 log summer kitchen and a barn complex.
Sumerduck Historic District
Sumerduck is a late 19th-century town laid out linearly at the junction of Sumerduck and Union Church roads in southern Fauquier County. After the Civil War, Sumerduck grew into a commercial node serving a predominantly rural area and received the majority of its buildings during and after Reconstruction. The 35-acre historic district includes mostly residences, two churches, a school, and a store – all of which are still in use, although the school now functions as an antique shop. The town’s dwellings, all of which are frame construction and vernacular in style, effectively express the community’s development and history between 1880 and 1940. This historic district is one of the best preserved in this portion of the county and the structures retain a high degree of architectural integrity.
The Hollow, located near the village of Markham, is considered the boyhood home of Chief Justice John Marshall. The house, which dates to 1763, is a wooden frame structure atop a fieldstone foundation. It was built by Thomas Marshall, father of John, a planter who immigrated to the area in 1753. A surveyor and magistrate, Thomas was a principle figure in Fauquier and in the state, serving in the Virginia House of Burgesses. In 1773, the Marshalls left The Hollow property. Thomas moved his family to the frontiers of Kentucky in 1783 where he lived and worked until his death in 1802.
The Mill House
West of Middleburg stands a complex of historic buildings centered upon the Mill House. The house and its ancillary structures are constructed of dry-stacked stone, with some buildings, including the mill itself, incorporating wooden frame construction. Vernacular in style, the original layout was determined by practical, utilitarian needs. Originally, the Mill House was a two-story, rectangle with basement, comprised of fieldstone. The house and its out-buildings well reflect late 18th- to early 19th-century rural Virginian grist mill operations as well as 20th-century “hunt country” aesthetics. It is associated with Leven Powell, who founded the town of Middleburg in the late 18th century, and John S. Phipps, scion of one of the great industrial fortunes of America’s gilded age. Phipps purchased the complex in 1924 and transformed it into the impressive country estate one sees today.
Southwest of the Town of Warrenton, on Springs Road, sits The Oaks. The 151-acre property was bought in 1927 by Margaret Spilman Bowden, who commissioned the home to serve as the local Episcopalian Church’s rectory. The Neo-Classical-style mansion dates from 1931-33, and was designed by architect W. H. Irwin Fleming and built by W. J. Hanback. Hanback came from a long line of builders native to Fauquier County. They were noted for their craftsmanship and attention to detail, and The Oaks exhibits superlative design unequaled by other Fleming houses in the area.
Thoroughfare Gap Battlefield
Thoroughfare Gap is a narrow passage in the chain of Bull Run Mountains which links Prince William County to the Shenandoah Valley. Historically, the Gap provided a major east-west trade route between the two geographic areas. Its commercial importance was reinforced when the Manassas Gap Railroad ran through the Gap in 1852. On August 28 and 29, 1862, the Battle of Thoroughfare Gap was staged in this strategic area prior to the more decisive second Battle of Manassas on August 29. Chapman’s Mill, located adjacent to Broad Run and the railroad, was the center of this battle. Built in the mid-eighteenth century, the imposing, six-story stacked stone structure operated as a water-powered grist mill until the mid-twentieth century. Largely wooded, the site retains a high degree of integrity, while the ruined mill points to the area’s history as both a site of early industry and commerce as well as a major military campaign.
Upperville Historic District
The Warren Green Hotel, originally built on the site of the Norris Tavern in 1819, was rebuilt following fire in 1876. Gen. Lafayette was given a banquet in 1825 with 6,000 of Fauquier's population cheering him. President James Monroe and a large company of distinguished men, were served an "elegant repast" here; Andrew Jackson stayed here; Henry Clay declared for the Presidency here; Gen. George McClellan said farewell to his troops in 1862, after being relieved of his command by President Lincoln; Theodore Roosevelt dined here; Wallis Warfield, the future Duchess of Windsor, spent a year here in 1927 waiting for her first divorce.
Between 1855 and 1860 Waveland, already many years old, was remodeled and doubled in size by John Augustine Washington. Waveland’s water system was a cistern from which the water was pumped through lead pipes to a tank in the attic. This was one of the first water systems in the county, put in only two years after the one in the White House.
One of the estate’s original buildings is a large, log barn, still standing and in use. Also remaining is the foundation of an octagonal, brick house, heated by one chimney in the center, that Mr. Washington built for his slaves. Here, tradition says, once lived the Fords who killed Jesse James.
Located in Halfway, is Waverley, a large, rambling farmhouse. The core of the house is an 18th-century, one-story, stone cottage, probably erected after 1766, when the land was purchased by Charles Chinn. It was enlarged around 1830 to include a center-hall and a second story. The house was again remodeled in the 1850’s and given a Gothic Revival-style treatment. The house stood abandoned and deteriorating in 1940, when it was acquired by Thomas Furness and his wife, who hired the Chicago architect, David Adler, to direct extensive renovations. Adler modernized the home while preserving its early features. His main alteration was the addition of a shallow third story under a flat roof. The architectural significance of the house is its medley of styles, which show the prevailing tastes of the owners in different eras.
Weston is a historic farm located near Casanova. The farmhouse was originally erected for Thomas Fitzhugh circa 1810 as a simple one-room, one-and-one-half-story log cabin. Though the cabin underwent many additions throughout the 19th century, some of the original features still remain, including the exposed ceiling joists, random-width pine floor boards, and cut nails.
In 1859, the property was sold to Charles Joseph Nourse, who enlarged the house in 1860 and again in 1870 with one-and-one-half-story dwellings. A final addition in 1893 created the current L-shaped plan and lent an asymmetrical composition to the whole.
Weston is also known for its 19th-century outbuildings, all ten of which are architecturally significant.
Weston is considered one of Fauquier County’s most completely preserved 19th-century farmsteads.
Yew Hill is located on the 320 acre grant secured in 1742 by Thomas Ashby, pioneer, who was then living on the Shenandoah River above Burwell’s Island. His son, Robert, was the first of the family to make Yew Hill his home in 1760. While engaged in surveying his own tract of land lying near Ashby’s Gap, George Washington made his headquarters at Yew Hill from March 9 to March 18, 1769. Title was held by the Ashby family until 1807. The dwelling is now undergoing restoration and repairs that should enable Yew Hill to stand sturdily for another two hundred years as a landmark of the wilderness outpost of civilization in the highlands of Fauquier.
Built between 1938 and 1939 by Swiss architect Henri de Heller and Warrenton builder Charles T. Giant, the primary residence exhibits many characteristics indicative of the Modern Movement. These characteristics include the structure’s horizontal emphasis, a curved corner with continuous steel windows, a large glass block window, an elliptical bay window with steel casements and a geometric, metal balustrade on the rear balcony.